Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Visit

We are in Hyderabad. I have six days to see everything I can before we decide whether or not to move here. It's overwhelming just to be in India with the jet lag, the poverty, the cultural differences, and the heat. I also miss the kids.

In our first three days we have seen two schools, two housing developments, a temple, and a mall. I have taken two naps.

I worry about the kids adjusting. The school we like is 40 minutes away from the area we'd want to live in. Meara would have a 40 minute bus ride on each end of a six hour school day. From my American perspective that's a heavy schedule for kindergarten. Colin has never been to any school so I would probably look for a closer preschool with a shorter day.

I have plenty of other worries: traffic, quality of health care, food safety, malaria. But there would also be some benefits to living here for a couple of years. We'd all have a new cultural experience. Labor is cheap so we'd have a driver, a house cleaner and probably a cook at least part of the time. We could travel to parts of the world we might not otherwise visit.

In the second half of this trip I will talk to a few more people and visit a few more places. Mostly I will try to assimilate what I've learned and figure out how to make this huge decision. But first I think I will take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment